Welcome to Cardiff Castle Garrison!
We are a medieval living history re-enactment society. We focus on the reign of Edward III, specifically the years 1350-1370.
If you’re looking to join Cardiff Castle Garrison, we’d love to see you! You can meet us in the Albany pub (105 Donald St, Cardiff, CF24 4TL) from 7:30pm every Friday. Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you’re coming and we’ll be looking out.
As a group we maintain high living history standards. The aim of our society is to entertain, educate and inspire a desire to learn more about history, and, of course, for our audience and group members to enjoy themselves. Our shows can include the following:
- A living history camp demonstrating medieval life.
- Combat, archery, crafts and cooking displays and demonstrations.
- Talks on weapons, armour, crafts, cooking and archery. During these talks we showcase items used during the period, including weapons, armour, and crafting equipment. You will also have a chance to examine these items up close and try some of them on.
- The members of Cardiff Castle Garrison are available throughout the day during shows to talk to the public, demonstrate skills and answer any questions posed to them.
- An opportunity to have a go at archery or to sponge a fool who is locked in the stocks.
What makes Cardiff Castle Garrison interesting and different from other re-enactment societies is the proportion of members who can give professional insights into how things were, how things worked and why. Our group contains a high number of academics, historians and archaeologists.
Our camps, archery range and combat demonstrations take place in roped arenas, and members are on hand to supervise at all times.